Being a college student, life gets a little rough sometimes. As all of us know, midterms are the literal definition of a hell week. You wakeup feeling like you just got run over by a truck, even though you haven’t rolled off your mattress. Sometimes, it all just seems like too much. I actually just went through one of these dreaded weeks myself, so like many of you – I’m in need for some relaxation.
Self-care is this magical thing that makes your life infinitely better, and for some reason we always seem to let it slip our minds. With self-care you feel nourished, alive, and just happy in general because you’re doing things that are solely for you. And yes – you 100% deserve it! Anything that relaxes or gives you some time for rejuvenation is key in practicing and perfecting your personal style of self-care. Examples can include:
- Binge watching Netflix
- Drink coffee (I enjoy this personally)
- Retail therapy
- Bubble baths
- Trying new makeup techniques
- Having’ a jam sesh in your underwear
- Cooking /baking
- Going out: bars, clubs, dinner, etc.
You get the idea, right? Anything that helps you feel good. Once you’ve got down your activities, you need to make sure you’re still following the everyday basics:
- Surround yourself with loved ones: It’s important to let the positive relationships around you grow to better yourself. Keep soaking in the good to help outweigh the bad. Having a strong support system means everything.
- Eat 3 meals a day: Your body needs energy! It requires time to digest and process all those healthy nutrients. Stay on top of your diet so you can keep energized.
- Exercise: Our bodies are meant to move! Activity improves your health while helping to reduce and fight any potential risks.
- Sleep: You’ve got to get those juices charge at some point; sleeping helps the brain function properly!
- Fun: What’s life without a little risk, eh? Make sure you’re experiencing new and exciting things while living up life.
Websites like The Feminist Wire and Everyday Feminism, as well as various vloggers regularly publish articles and video guides reminding us that we need to take time to ourselves, and think with great purpose. Everyone needs to practice self-care, even your favorite feminists! Women have long been assigned this stereotype of always caring for everyone before themselves and being completely selfless. As you and I both know, that’s definitely not the case. What we achieve on this earth is not done easily; take your passions and use them as a guide to help you practice self-care! A lot of the times it’s difficult to dodge the negative things thrown our way while trying to stay empowered in our society. Love yourself and make yourself a priority. No one else can take care of you as well as you can. Self-care helps in every way, and makes life just a little bit easier along the road. You are worthy and deserving of care. Don’t forget it – because lets face it, midterms are a bitch.